On 13th of May 2015 at the University of Pretoria Library, took place the SAOUG talk and a brainstorming session on Makerspace. Isak van der Walt from the UP Library and the head of the UP Makerspace facility, explain to the participants what is Makerspace and what you should consider if you want to create a Makerspace at your work place. Two practical sessions took place in which the participants were divided in groups and asked the following questions:
- If you need to buy a medicine from a pharmacy in China, how would you explain to the pharmacist what medicine you need. Thus considering the language barriers.
- Participants work on creating a project plan for a Makerspace facility at a “X” institution
Everyone have lot’s of fun indeed. This article will introduce you to the Makerspace concept. Isak van der Walt also suggested this website for 3D programming and printing
Pictures from the workshop are available on Flickr.
Susan, SAOUG chair with Isak
Di Kruger from Rand Merchandise Bank won the lucky draw – power bank.
At the SAOUG Valentine’s breakfast event on the 13 February 2015, we had a lucky draw. The winner was Janet Zambri from WITS Library and she won a power bank.
This is what she has to say: “Thanks again for the power bank. I am really delighted that I was the winner”
You can be the next lucky draw winner. Don’t miss the last chance to register for next week “Makerspace” workshop. The last day to register is TODAY. Direct link to the REGISTRATION FORM.
Are you a current member of the SAOUG (Southern African Online User Group) and feel that you would like to share the value you get from your membership with others? At the next few meetings of the group for the year, we will be having a lucky draw for all new members, as well as for those who have referred new members. In order to qualify for the draw, please help to sign up new members.
The benefits of membership include:
- Low membership fees (R110 per year for individuals; R385 for corporate membership; free for full-time students)
- Four meetings per year and a biennial international conference at lower rates than for non-members
- The opportunity to develop your personal and professional skills
- The chance to network with other information professionals
- The opportunity to exchange information on current developments in the field
In order to qualify for the lucky draw as a referrer, please ensure that anyone who signs up for membership indicates your name on their registration form.
More information about membership can be found at http://saoug.org.za/membership/